Whole Koi (scales removed properly) – 4, 100 gm each
Onion (chopped) – 1 cup
Onion (pasted) – 2 tbsp
Ginger (pasted) – 0.5 tsp
Garlic (pasted) – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds (powdered) – 1 tsp
Black pepper (crushed) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 0.5 tsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard oil – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
1. Wash the fish and drain water from the fish.
2. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt to the fish. Mix well and keep aside.
3. Take the oil in a wok and fry the fishes. Keep the fried fishes aside.
4. In the same oil add chopped onion and fry until it becomes brownish.
5. Add the onion paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and black pepper to it. Shallow fry.
6. Add tomato sauce followed by the fish. Mix the spice so that it covers the fishes.
7. Reduce the heat to medium. Add water and salt. Keep the fishes submerged in the water. Cover with lid for some time.
8. When the water starts getting vaporized, stir gently so that the fishes do not stick to the bottom of the wok.
9. Taste the seasoning and adjust the salt accordingly. Mix well carefully.
10. Keep on stirring gently until the water part is vaporized and oil comes out.
11. Add 1 tbsp of the coriander leaves to the wok and mix once.
12. Remove from heat, garnish with the remaining coriander leaves and black pepper. Serve hot immediately with hot plain rice.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.