Bhetki or Basa (boneless cubes) – 200 gm
Fresh jalapeno (slice cut) – 3
Garlic (cube cut) – 2 tbsp
Green chili (diagonally chopped) – 4
Spring onion (chopped) – 2.5 tbsp
Onion (petal cut) – 0.5 cup
Dark soy sauce – 1 tsp
Chinese rice wine – 1 tsp
Corn flour – 3 tsp
Baking powder – 0.5 tsp
Egg white – 1
Vegetable oil – sufficient for deep frying fish
Black pepper – 0.75 tsp
Castor sugar – to taste
Salt – to taste
1. Drain water from the fish, add the corn flour, egg white, a little salt and baking powder to it and mix well. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in wok.
3. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the fish pieces until golden and keep aside (can be kept on a paper towel to soak the extra oil in it).
4. Keep tentatively 3 tbsp of oil in the wok and remove the remaining oil from it.
5. Heat the oil and add the garlic to it. Stir fry until it turns slight golden.
6. Add jalapeno, green chilis, 1.5 tbsp of spring onion and black pepper. Stir fry quickly.
7. Reduce the heat and quickly add the dark soy sauce and wine. Stir quickly to mix well.
8. Taste the sauce mixture and adjust salt, sugar and stir to mix quickly.
9. Add the fish and stir fry so that the sauce mixture coats the fish pieces. Increase the heat to high again and toss quickly to mix well.
10. Remove from heat, spread spring onion on it and serve hot immediately.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.